Tuesday 3 September 2013

Carbonaragate


People have such short memories.

They forget that around two years ago now, I appeared on the short lived BBC food quiz 'A Question of Taste' and impressed the entire nation with my rather superior food knowledge. At the risk of offending my lovely fellow team mates Kavey and Dan, who were rubbish quite frankly, if it wasn't for me, we would have lost (the comment about crumpets not withstanding).

So when I go online and tweet something silly like this: 


But be rest assured that I was simply making a joke. Of course I use egg yolks and egg yolks only when making a carbonara sauce. As well as bronze dye-extruded durum wheat dried pasta, the finest Guanciale known to man and the best Pecorino Romano that Aldi has to offer. And I always, always dress the pasta afterwards. The suggestion that I would ever, ever make a basic béchamel sauce, fry off some bacon bits with slivers of garlic and mix it with some boiled value range spaghetti is preposterous and I can't believe the food pedants of Twitter fell for it and castigated me. You know who you are.

Now that I've got that off my chest, I'd like to go back to perfecting another classic recipe if you don't mind.

Which is Shepherds pie.

With tinned corned beef, mashed sweet potato and Branston pickle.

No comments:

Post a Comment